I have configured apache according to the readme included in the apache
source:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache

And then configure php:
./configure --with-apache=../apache_1.3.22
make
make install

After that configure apache again while activating the php module:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
--activate-module=src/modules/php3/libphp3.a
make

I haven't even "make install" and this was what I got.

ldap_parse_reference                modules/php4/libphp4.a(ldap.lo)
uncompress
/usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o)
compress
/usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to httpd
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [target_static] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/export/home/shahmatd/apache_1.3.22/src'
make[1]: *** [build-std] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/shahmatd/apache_1.3.22'
make: *** [build] Error 2

Would really really appreciate it if some one could help me out, if
tried a couple of approaches, still to no avail.

Shahmat