Paul,

Sure, email away.
I'd hazard a guess that your syntax errors were due to not matching the
threading of your OS.

And I recommend the OpenLink Multi-Tier ODBC drivers, from your architecture
needs.
They are available for a free download at
http://www.openlinksw.com/main/softdld.htm.

Best regards,
Andrew Hill
Director of Technology Evangelism
OpenLink Software  http://www.openlinksw.com
Universal Data Access & Data Integration Technology Providers