Matt,

The forthcoming Wrox book "Professional PHP4" covers database normalization,
database design, etc., as well as specific PHP, and designs a sample
application so you can put it into practice.

Best regards,
Andrew Hill
Director of Technology Evangelism
OpenLink Software  http://www.openlinksw.com
Universal Data Access & Data Integration Technology Providers