Keith,

You're building it upside down! If your design relies on adding columns to
store data you will quickly run out of columns.

More typically when you submit data you add a row of information to a
database, not another column.  Database design and normalization are topics
which are too big to cover in an email, but there are a number of
helpful  tutorials. This one is pretty decent:

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/MySQL/Normal/Normal1/page1.html

The author describes both why data has to be normalized and how that is
done. An internal link points to another article which helps you determine
what to include in the tables.

If the above doesn't suite, Google will return a slew of hits on "sql
tutorial normalization".

I hope this will be helpful - Miles Thompson