The next part I tackled and won! Hard to believe actually, but I got the
problem with last page fixed.

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 10:20 pm, Steven Cayford banged out on the keys:
> To find out if $new_pic pointed to a valid image you would probably need
> to do a "select count(*) from ab" to get the total number of records. If
> $new_pic is less than the count, then show the link.

I did incorporate the count(*) function to show a total number of pics in
each database, at the bottom of the page with the page and home links.

Here is the code I used to fix the last page problem -

     $result=mysql_query($sql) or die ("The query didn't work, oops");
     if (mysql_num_rows($result) == 0)
        {
                echo "<tr>\n<td colspan=\"6\" align=\"center\">\n<font
size=\"+2\">Oops, you've reached the end of the line.\n<br>\n<a
href=\"../index.html\">Home</a></font>";
        }
     else
        {
        while ($row=mysql_fetch_array($result))
        {
        the rest of the code.....

And it works great.
That takes care of the two questions I had to begin with. Thanks for the
help, I appreciate your kindness and patience, sometimes even the best books
and manuals fall a bit short of such common, simple or mundane tasks.

--
Chip W
www.wiegand.org