Zach,
We're going back and forth on this and getting no where...

So far all you have informed us is that the table has one column, which contains a
bunch of passwords (I also
suggest that this is not really the case and there'll at least be some sort of userId
field - but you haven't
bothered to tell me/us that)

The concept of "last" in relational terminology is ambiguous. Do you mean last
entered, or do you mean the row
with the field containing the highest value in the column - for example.

Some people are used to the idea that there is also some 'phantom' rowId that
counts/labels each row. In other
file systems this might have been the case, but the physically last record in an RDBMS
table-file may not
conform to either of the "last" definitions mentioned above. There is no such
'highest' in an RDBMS unless you
put it there - as mentioned by another correspondent, it's a good idea to use some
sort of 'id' field in every
table. This can be generated for you with the AUTO_INCREMENT feature. With appropriate
design, eg first record
has id=1 and the succeeding records have id-s with ascending values, then you can use
SELECT MAX() against the
'id' or possibly against the AUTO_INCREMENT feature.

These commands are well documented - RTFM. Many tutorials with plenty of examples of
authentication techniques
exist on the PHP/MySQL web sites.

Next time, please don't be so (repeatedly) parsimonious in the provision of
information, if you expect/hope that
someone is going to give their (free) time to help you out. (grumble)

=dn