Have you tried it?  I've done this sort of thing before, and it works
just fine.  By the time the query string is executed, the variables have
been interpreted.

So, if $colName = "id", and $id = 12, then your query variable looks
something like "select * from myTable where $colName = $id".  By the
time you get to executing the query, it's been interpolated (?) to
"select * from myTable where id = 12".

--
Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford