No worries, there's an "IIS-Lockdown" Tool available from Microsoft if you
want to play around with IIS - and not have to worry about code red etc (you
still need to keep it regularly updated patches wise though - I guess thats
the advantage of apache).

The sample script is fine - thats how I got into MSSQL/PHP many moons ago.
Note that it isn't very efficient (you can write a much faster script using
mssql_fetch_array() and arrays) as it makes a lot of requests on the db.  I
think you are better off creating a simple DB in MSSQL enterprise manager
(dead easy once you get the hang of it - much better than access IMHO but
thats not very hard!).

Do you know anything about Transactional SQL?  If you do you might be able
to help me in return (see my question in another newer thread)!

If you want any more help let me know, I have been using this stuff for a
while and don't mind sharing info (seeing as I'm probably not going to get
to use PHP once I'm a graduate in a few months).

Cheers

Ollie

"William Fong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Hi Ollie,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I was mistaken.  I am using PHP 4.1.1 loaded as a CGI.  I am using Apache
> because I am from a Solaris/Linux background, and I know how to use it
> better.  I don't feel comfortable enough with IIS to secure it down (with
> all that NIMDA and CodeRed floating around).  Our company is going to
> implement SQL Server 2000, so I want to try it out.
>
> I used the sample PHP script from PHP's Web site to connect.  Here is the
> code:
>
> <?php
>
> $hostname = "localhost";
> $username = "username";
> $password = "password";
> $dbName = "Northwind";
>
> MSSQL_CONNECT($hostname,$username,$password) or DIE("DATABASE FAILED TO
> RESPOND.");
> mssql_select_db($dbName) or DIE("Table unavailable");
>
> $query = "SELECT * FROM Employees";
>
> $result = MSSQL_QUERY($query);
>
> $number = MSSQL_NUM_ROWS($result);
>
> $i=0;
>
> if ($number == 0) :
>  print "No data?";
> elseif ($number > 0) :
>  print "Data:";
>  while ($i < $number) :
>   $name = mssql_result($result,$i,"Name");
>   print $name;
>   print "";
>   $i++;
>  endwhile;
> endif;
> ?>
>

> I modified it to grab information from Northwind's Employee table.
>
> I didn't know Unicode was something that was defined.  I will try to make
> sample database with 'more simple' database fields to see if that works.
> just wanted to do a quick test to grab data.  I see it'll take me a little
> longer to learn MSSQL.
>
> Thanks!
>

> william
>

> --
> William Fong - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Phone: 626.968.6424 x210  |  Fax: 626.968.6877
> Wireless #: 805.490.7732    |  Wireless E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Server