What exactly is the error message? Did you change config.php to use the name
of your database and your username & password?

I've found the articles at devshed to be helpful in the past. This
particular one has a pretty good explaination of setting up a user
authentication system:

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/PHP/TimeIsMoney/TimeIsMoney1/page1.html

Robert