Jennifer,

You have a clear idea of what you want done by the script - as guided by "the book".
However, do you have a clear idea of what the script is actually seeing - and
therefore why it is doing what
it's doing?

When debugging, add a heap of ECHO statements to test pertinent values, eg before a
branch/decision make sure
you KNOW what the value IS (cf what it 'should be').

When you do this, it is most likely that the error/omission will become clear.
=dn