here is an example from my page:

 <?
$connection = mysql_connect($databaseserver, $databaseuser, $databasepass)
or die("Can't connect to DB");
$db = mysql_select_db($databasename, $connection);
$sql= "SELECT id, State FROM $statetable ORDER BY State ASC";
$result= mysql_query($sql, $connection);
print "<select name=\"State\">";
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
$id = $row["id"];
$State = $row["State"];
print "<option>$State</option>";