Thanks everyone for the help,

    I know with other lists, sometimes when you finally get you problem to work you
post your answer.  Anyway, just in case anyone was wondering, here is what I ended up

        $query = "SELECT category_ID,category_name FROM tblCategories";
        $result = mysql_query($query);

                     while ($category_array = mysql_fetch_array($result))  {

I had it in a table.  anyway thank alot.