Hi Rick,

Here's a code snippet (less error checking). Basically there could be as
many as twnety questions listed with their associated listboxes of
possible answers. Also be aware that ms-sql identity type is similar to
mysqls autoincrement type except that once a record is deleted, that
identity value is never used again.

My problem is that since the question_id field is never guaranteed to be
sequential and seeing that I have named the answer listboxes with the
question_id field, what is a good way to extract the values from the
form and perform an update query ?

How can I do this if I don't know what the question_id values will be ?

-- CUT
$sql= "SELECT * FROM tbl_exam_questions ORDER BY question_id;";

$result=mssql_query($sql,$conn1);
$numrows = mssql_num_rows($result);

print '<form method="POST" action="submit_exam_answers.php" name="F1">';

## List All Questions and load the possible answers into list box.

for($cnt = 0; $cnt < $numrows; $cnt++){
        $row = mssql_fetch_array($result);
        print '<p>'.$row["question_text"].'</p>';
        print 'My Answer is: <select size="1"
name="'.$row["question_id"].'"><option selected value="0">- SELECT ONE
-</option>';

        ## Now fetch the possible answers and load it into the list box.

        $pa_sql = "SELECT * FROM tbl_exam_answers WHERE question_id =
".$row["question_id"].";";
        $pa_result = mssql_query($pa_sql,$conn1);

        $pa_numrows = mssql_num_rows($pa_result);

        for($pa_cnt = 0; $pa_cnt < $pa_numrows; $pa_cnt++) {
          $pa_row = mssql_fetch_array($pa_result);
          print '<option
value="'.$pa_row["id"].'">'.$pa_row["p_answers"].'</option>';
        }
        ## Finished Loading Possible Answers into list box.

}

print '<p><input type="submit" value="Save Answer" name="Submit"><input
type="reset" value="Reset Form" name="Reset"></p></form>';

-- CUT

Oh, and before I forget tbl_exam_questions.correct_answer holds the
relevent id entry from tbl_exam_answers