Well, if you know what cookies are, then you know what session variables
are. You just dont know that yet.. :)

Joke aside, session variables are special cookies, created by you or
your app, it is represented at the users machine only by a small cookie
with a generated ID, which again points back to the server. The server
keeps a repository of information, the session database, from which it
retreives the variables stored by your app.

PHP does not, like ASP, automatically start the session, you have to do
that manually, and you have to maintain it manually on each page that
you want to read session stuff from.

Check out the php.net online manual for more info on session variables,
and also some of the tutorials at phpbuilder.com.

Regards,

Egil

On Wednesday, April 10, 2002, at 04:36 PM, Steve Bradwell wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am pretty much a newbie, I was wondering what php session variables
> are? I
> am creating a table with php that uses mySQL "create temporary table"
> based
> on user specified columns and some where clause stuff. The page then
> displays the contents of the table with the table headings as hrefs that
> allow the user to sort the table. Only problem is when the page reloads
> show the new sorting the temporary table needs to be rebuilt. I know of
> ways to pass the varibles I need, either through url params or saving
> them
> as a cookie, and then parsing them out again. Is there a better way or
> am I
> on the right track.
>
> Thanks.
> Steve.

egil helland / it consultant (mcse, web technology)
web: ikon.as / egil.net