Hello,

Sp wrote:

> Can someone with database expertise who has used metabase and adodb cut
> through this rhetoric and give an objective view of these two packages.
> From what I got from this convo is that metabase is slower but more portable
> but adodb is faster but not as portable.

No, Metabase does much more than ADODB. When you do more, eventually
things may take a little longer when you do less. This should be
obvious.

Anyway, if you really care about portability, you're only way out is
Metabase. If you are in doubt about the features, think at least about
what you can do with each package to migrate your data when you decide
to switch databases. Metabase is the only package that offer painless
and failure proof method of migrating data using the XML schema support.

With the other package you need to write custom scripts for migration
which is a real pain and prone to error due to eventual bugs of software
that you need to write on your own.

Other abstraction packages were not meant for true portability but
rather for interface makeup.

I think you will be the better judge of that if you try looking at least
at each package documentation. It is pointless to ask to people here
when most of them only know one or the other package.

You may also want to take a look at BinaryCloud which is a well designed
and mature PHP application development framework. It works with Metabase
and will save you countless hours of developing your applications from
scratch.

BinaryCloud
http://binarycloud.tigris.org/

Metabase