Hello,

John Lim wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> It's not true that this can happen to any product. PHP is a fantastic
> language, but
> there are well-known ways to manage QA. All it needs is to include ODBC
> in the standard php regression test suite (and run the suite regularly!)

This is not the case of a bug but rather an intentional and documented
backwards incompatible change of odbc_fecth_row function.

I think that is very unprofessional from the PHP developers that did it
and approve it and it is not the first time they do it with this and
other PHP function. Unfortunately there is an odd conception of them
that if you break backwards compatibility and document it that is ok,
which I completely disagree, especially because this was not a X.0 version.

Unlike with a real company, since there is no commercial harm for the
PHP developers responsible for breaking backwards compatibility it is
pointless to complain about lack of professionalism of the responsible
PHP developers, as it was demonstrated in the episodes when they broke
functions that worked consistently for 4 years like dirname and strtok.

The only way to solve people's problem with these functions is use PHP
code that uses conditional programming based on the PHP version that is
running.

Regards,
Manuel Lemos