The slashes are being added by the MagicQuotes feature in PHP (I think)
when the form is submitted, and the slashes are being put into the database
but I don't want them there.  When I echo the query it does have the
slashes, and when I echo it after applying stripslashes they are gone, but
then my query is not being executed.