That is where I am at. Which is better to use. Only need space for 4 drives
with the computers I currently use, but what if I purchase a server that
takes 16, and what other things might the future hold?

I think I will be better off having the drives separate and just match the
drives with the computer they are installed in. I know I am answering my own
question here, but it makes me feel more comfortable knowing that others
come up with the same solutions I do.

Thanks.

> From: "Peter Lovatt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 22:24:32 +0100
> To: "Mike Tuller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chris Barnes"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Php-Db (E-mail)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: [PHP-DB] Question
>
> Hi
>
> The correct way, IMHO, would be to consider the situation. The hard drives
> are a sub component of the computer. In which case the hard drive table
> should be a 'child' of the computer table.
>
> However the hard drives could be an item in their own right too.
>
> So if you want to consider the hard drive as an item, but to know which
> computer it is in then make HardDriveID the primary key of the hard drive
> table, and include ComputerID as a link field.
>
> If it is basically a component of the computer then make
> (ComputerID,HardDriveID) the primary key.
>
> In practice either will work as will
>
> Computer table
> {
> ComputerID(primary)
> Hard_drive_1
> Hard_drive_2
> Hard_drive_3
> Hard_drive_n
>
> }
>
> which is simpler, not good design, but probably OK if you are sure you will
> never have more than 'n' drives
>
> just my 2p worth
>
> Peter
> Excellence in internet and open source software
> Sunmaia
> www.sunmaia.net
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> tel. 0121-242-1473

>>> HardDriveType
>>> HardDriveSize
>>>
>>> I know I will need to create a separate table to hold
>> information about the
>>> drives, and connect them to the computer by attaching the
>> primary key of the
>>> drives table to the Computer table.
>>>
>>> Computer Table
>>>
>>> ComputerID