Hi,

first we when we started up with oracle we had problems with these params:
processes, open_cursors, max_enabled_roles

After a week or so oracle was not able to allocate shared memory,
something like this:
ORA-04031: unable to allocate 4200 bytes of shared memory ("shared
pool","TRIGGER$","sga heap","state objects") ORA-00604: error occurred at

(remember I'm allways talking about Oracle under Linux)

This had 2 reasons:
1. wrong kernel-params (shared-memory-limits and semaphore-limits)
2. a memory leak in Oracle 8.1.7 (applying patchset 3 resolved this)

bye,

--