SELECT DISTINCT type,* FROM equipement WHERE class = "microphones";

<>< Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: russ arbuthnot [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 12:07 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP-DB] select distinct with all columns

I have a mysql table named "equipment" with 11 columns named: id,
staff_member, class, type, manufacturer, model, description, picture,
created, modified, and published.

I'm trying to write a select statement similar to this:

SELECT DISTINCT type FROM equipement WHERE class = "microphones";

yet shows all 11 columns of the selected rows rather than just the
type column.

The only way I know how to show all the columns is to use SELECT *, or to
list all the columns manually like "SELECT id, type, class, ... etc."

But when I tried doing this:

SELECT DISTINCT type, id, staff_member, class, manufacturer, model,
description, picture, created, modified, published FROM equipment WHERE
class = "microphones";

I just got the exact same answer as if i would have done this:

SELECT * FROM equipment WHERE class = "microphones";

so it didn't help.

Can anyone offer a hint?
Thanks,
russ