I'd endorse "SQL for Smarties", plus just about anything else JC has
written on SQL.

Another good book is "The Practical SQL Handbook" by Bowman, Emerson &
Darnovsky, ISBN 0-202-44787-8

For a tutorial have a look at Julie Meloni's at http://www.thickbook.com.
They are "single issue" tutorial, aredevloped progressively and quite
clear. A new user must read the section of the manual which deals with
variables. The way PHP creates variables automatically can be a bit
confusing to the newcomer.

Hope this helps - Miles Thompson