I really wanted this "ini_set()" thing to work, but it still does not.
Thankyou for your help though John.   If you are curious to see what I am
seeing try this out on a windows server where magic_quotes is on...

<?php

// import variables into 'p_' space
import_request_variables('gp', 'p_');

ini_set("magic_quotes_gpc","0");
//ini_set("magic_quotes_sybase","1");

$var = get_magic_quotes_gpc();

print "Magic Quotes = ". $var . "<br>";

if(!isset($p_name)||$p_name==''){$p_name="O'Conner";}

?>

<form name=myForm action=test.php method=post>

<input type="text" name="name" value="<?php echo $p_name; ?>">

<input type=submit value="submit">
Keep hitting submit

</form>