I did something like this with a photo gallery I made.  The approach I took is
the execute a query, get the number of rows, and divide that number by how ever
many records I wanted on that page.  Then that would give me the number of total
pages I would have for my navigational links at the bottom.  Then I would pass a
page number from page to page and multiply this by the number of records which
would give me the first record to display from the same query.  Soem sample
code:  (I displayed 4 pictures/records per page)
$num_rows = mysql_num_rows($result);

//Check to see if any rows are present
if ($num_rows <= 0)
{
    echo "<center><h2>No Pictures Available in this Album</h2></center>";
    exit(1);
}
$x = ($num_rows/4);
$y = intval($x);