You could put it anywhere. Stick it in a text file somewhere, fopen() and read the file for the password. Or keep it in a php script outside of the web root if that's the issue, then just include() it when you need to.

Of course any file you put it in will have to be readable by whatever user the webserver is running as.

-Steve