From: Peter Lovatt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 7:10 PM
To: Bernain, Fernando G.; 'Peter Beckman'; Hutchins, Richard
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [PHP-DB] Users on line

Hi

My bank uses two processes. If a user is inactive for more than about 5
minutes it forces you to log in again. This is done server side and just
does not allow you to do anything if your last activity was more than 5
minutes ago. It probably also marks the session as logged out.

It also uses JavaScript <body onUnload=''> to log you out when you close the
window. Not sure if this works when you just close the browser.

I do have a suggestion, which may or may not meet your needs.

When the user logs in, open a popup window  and set focus to the main window
or meta tag refresh the popunder once a minute and log the session as
already discussed, but with a timeout of 2 minutes, so it will be up to
date. This will tell you that the user has a browser open.

This might be enough for your needs

If not you could use <body onUnload=''> to post a form to the popup window
when the main window closes. This logs out when the user closes the main
window. The only exception will be if the user navigates away from the site.
If you need to, you could prevent this by displaying site content in another
popup window with no navbar and no external links.

http is stateless, so you cannot do a true session like Messenger but the
above is reasonably close :)

HTH

Peter

Excellence in internet and open source software
Sunmaia
Birmingham
UK
www.sunmaia.net