$counter = 1;
$query = mysql_query("SELECT image,caption FROM tablename ORDER BY id;");

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($query))

$imagevar = "image" . $counter;
$captionvar = "caption" . $counter;

$$imagevar = $row[image];
$$captionvar = $row[caption];

Change the query to match what you need, and that should work, if
your interested, check out the manual page on "Variable Variables" at: