From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 7:20 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP-DB] MySQL problem -- new to PHP

Hi all

I am new to PHP (just basically started yesterday). I am currently having a
problem connecting to a MySQL database.

My sample code is:

----------------------------------
<?php
mysql_connect(localhost,"username","password") or die ("Unable to connect to
MySQL server.");
$db = mysql_select_db("DB_NAME") or die ("Unable to select requested
database.");
?>
-----------------------------------

This throws the following error:

-----------------------------------
Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Host 'my.host.name' is not allowed to
connect to this MySQL server
-----------------------------------

Now, the mySQL server and the web server reside on the same machine. This
warning is therefore saying that this machine does not have permission to
connect to itself. Hmm. I have put entries in the host table and the user
table, using both hostname and ip address, but no luck. I keep getting the
same error.

What am I doing wrong?

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks