Quick alert to all, upgraded to OS X.2.4 last Thursday evening. PHP no longer works when testing locally. Here is what is happening:
1. Installed the upgrade. Am using my Mac as a test server.
2. Before upgrade, was runnning Mac OS X.2.3, MySQL 3.23.47, PHP 4.3
3. Used http://localhost/... to test my db's. Web sharing itself via
localhost worked fine... http://localhost would show the Apache default
page... version 1.3.27. Tried http://localhost/test.php, only showed
the text in the browser, <?php phpinfo() ?>.
4. Worked until upgrading to Mac OS X.2.4. Once I did this, the php
pages loaded as text files (could see the code, but no php interaction
to activate the page) in the browser (OmniWeb, IE 5.2.2, Safari
1.0beta v60). Basic web sharing worked fine though from #3 above.
5. Tried to reinstall php 4.3, then all the browsers listed started to
just download each php page to the desktop. Came up with a prompt of
what to do in IE 5.2.2... MIME = application/x-httpd/php. Again,
http://localhost/test.php downloaded the file to the desktop for all
6. Called Apple Support Pro and let them know. Was asked to perform and
Archive Install of Mac OS X.2. Did this. Reinstalled PHP 4.3. Worked
fine. Was able to see my test site via http://localhost/.... PHP
activity was back to normal on testing my local db's.
http://localhost/test.php worked, showing the information you would
expect from this page.
7. Reinstalled the Mac OS X.2.4 upgrade via Software Update.
8. Upon restart, PHP functionality again failed on
http://localhost/test.php. Showed the text in the browser, <?php
phpinfo() ?>. No PHP functionality, but MySQL works from the Terminal.
9. I do have some remote sites that use MySQL/PHP and was able to
connect to those sites just fine.
Seems that Mac OS X.2.4 has broke PHP from working locally as a test
server somehow? Called Apple back and they are sending this up to the
Engineering Group. I use my laptop as a test server as well, and the
same is true for it as well, PHP is broke for local use.
Please don't upgrade to Mac OS X.2.4 if you use your workstation as a
test server using PHP! Hope this gets out before many upgrade and enjoy
reinstalling from scratch as I must to get back to Mac OS X.2.3. Must
use my Mac and laptop as a test server for Mysql/PHP site. :(
Gale L. Allen Jr
Macintosh Support Specialist
"Remember, Love wins over all"