I think the best way is to use sessions.
when the user comes to the site or he submits a rating, start a
session and create a variable, in which you store the images' id that
the user rated like
$var="1,1423,523"
etc.. then use it in your query
mysql_query("select id from images where id not in ($var) order by
rand() limit 1");

this will keep the images the user rated out of your recordset and
gives you a random image from the database

--
Finest,
 Mengü

MH> I am toying with the idea of implementing functionality similar to the
hotornot.com site -- for a different purpose, mind you, but the same kind of user
experience. Here's what it does:

MH> 1. A picture is served up.
MH> 2. User clicks on a radio button scale from 1 to 10 to "rate" the picture.
MH> 3. The page refreshes. The rating is re-computed with the user's rating for the
original picture. The original picture becomes that "last rated" pic, and a new one is
served up.
MH> 4. The user can cycle through as many pictures this way as they want.

MH> I have MySQL and PHP to work with.

MH> What I am trying to do is figure out the best approach to implementing it.
Specifically, when the user clicks on the radio button, that triggers the form submit
via JavaScript. The form submit
MH> updates the database with the rating and then fetches the next row.

MH> The problem that occurred to me as I was putting together a prototype is:

MH> I don't want the user to get the entire result set of all the images in the
database at once. I really want them to get just the two images (the one they just
rated and the one they are about to
MH> rate). Is there a way to "remember" the last row they selected and then use that
number to fetch the next one on the subsequent request? I can keep recycling hidden
form fields with a number,
MH> which should work ok, but the problems come up when they reach the last row.

MH> Anyway, just looking to see if you folks have some ideas. I would prefer to roll
my own rather than use one of the available "hotornot-style" PHP scripts to do this.