I would advise making your "search.php" a function. This offers a lot of other flexibility.

On your searchform.php page just have an if() function to determine if any search parameters were passed. If there are parameters, perform the search. If there are results, display them, otherwise display the search form with a message that there were no results found.

Basically you are merging everything into one file and having a couple of conditional display areas. And if you use GET instead of POST in your form, the user can bookmark the resulting page.