El Mié 24 Sep 2003 17:27, [EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:
> > El Mié 24 Sep 2003 07:24, nabil escribió:
> > > Dear all;
> > >
> > > I have been using Mysql for a long time, but I have a benchmark Q.
> > >
> > > Is pgsql , better ? faster ? more reliable than mysql ?
> >
> > Maybe not faster in FTS, but surely MORE reliable!!!
> >
> > > any comment ?
> > > Some people say that php is not for a very big enterprise, banking ,
> > > application !! they said that java or even .NET is better
> >
> > ... I m against
> >
> > > that but what do you all think ?
> >
> > I'm not that sure. But one thing I am sure of is that I woud
> > never put a bank
> > account aplication using MySQL!
>
> And why is that? MySQL is as secure as the application that accesses it. We
> use it extensively for sensitive data, and it crunches numbers just fine.
> It ranks up with Oracle in speed, lacking some features, which will be
> available soon, such as stored procedures and triggers, and sub-selects
> which are very soon to be available.

It's not only about securety. It's about the "C" in "ACID": Consistency!

Example:

mysql> create table test (i1 int, i2 numeric(6,2) not null);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> insert into test values (12345678901234,123456.23);
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> select * from test;
+------------+----------+
| i1         | i2       |
+------------+----------+
| 2147483647 | 99999.99 |
+------------+----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I think I would call this.... inconsistency!

You can't just put any data in the database if it doesn't comply to the
structure of the table. But that's how MySQL works. If you try to insert a
negative number in a int unsigned field it won't give you an error. Instead
you get 0 (zero). This is totally unacceptable, at least from my point of
view.

> Think .NET, think swiss cheese! Think Java, think long load times, think
> PHP,  think quick SSI and security as long as you pass it through ssl

I think just like you in this case.

--
 17:30:02 up 33 days,  9:12,  1 user,  load average: 1.31, 1.55, 1.17