Jerry --

...and then JeRRy said...
%
% Hi,

Hi!

%
% Thanks for the code(s), finally got it to display in a
% page.  But I crashed the server in the attempt.  Very
% bad thing I did... Which threw out over 3000 processes
% for just visiting the page the one time... eck!

Oops :-)

%
% It was nasty, I hope noone else attempts it.  If
% people want the code that I used that simply caused
% more headaches than anything else I am happy to post
% it.  Than again why would you want it?  So than again
% I may not. :P

*grin*

%
% Okay finally I have multiple domains.
%
% domain1.com
% domain2.com

Yay.

%
% Is it possible to grab the source using some PHP code
% from domain2.com and display it on domain1.com?

Nope.  Well, not unless you have it on domain2 so that anyone could get
it (eg as a .phps or a .txt or even a not-interpreted .php).

%
% There *must* be some way, because when you point your
% web-browser to domain1.com it loads the source, so
% windows reads the source to display and the webserver

Not quite.

% handles the requests.  So there must be some way to
% actually grab it?  Or no?  I don't mean the HTML
% source I mean the entire PHP source.

Exactly.  That's what you can't have.

%
% Thinking about it more maybe it is not that possible
% as the web-server handles the PHP requests and than
% the browser outputs it from what the web-server says.

Yep.

%
% I dunno, but how is it possible to grab local PHP
% source but not from another domain?  I'd think it work
% in the same manner but guess there is something
% locking that out.

If you can read the file from your disk then you can load it up; it's
part of domain1's local files even if it's meant to be displayed
somewhere else.

Hmmm...  That brings up two points.  The sane one is that if both domains
are hosted on the same server then you can often share the file (but if
safe mode and the like are on you may not be able to get out of your own
jail).  The insane one is that if you mount the other server's disk via
NFS or such then it looks local and apache can go and load the file --
but that's quite insane indeed.

%
% I own both domains and thought it be easier to have
% one domain for the code and one domain for displaying
% the code.  So I could use the other domain to test

Again, if they're hosted together, then it becomes a piece of cake.  What
we do on our server, for instance, is

  /
    home/
      sites/
        .php/
          dev/
            code.inc
          tst/
          pro/
            index.inc
        site1/
          web/
            code.php
        site2/
          web/
            index.php

where the two .php files just look like

  <?php include("/home/sites/.php/dev/code.inc"); ?>
  <?php include("/home/sites/.php/pro/index.inc"); ?>

and all of the magic is done in our protected area where users cannot go
(they are jailed at the siteX level) and certainly can't change it.

% with and users could also and the other domain for
% demo's on what to do to achieve things with PHP/mysql
% etc. Which Only I can edit.

Well, don't give your users permission to edit the central repository on
the other machine, of course...

%
% I understand PHP has a ftp service in PHP, could this
% work to download the source?

Only if you want it to be downloadable, and I still don't recommend it.

%
% Thanks for your time.

That's why we're here :-)

%
% Jerry

HTH & HAND

:-D
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"