Well, I had tried this :
SELECT DISTINCT id_script FROM readme WHERE id_language = $languageorignin;
But then I have to do this with the selection :
SELECT DISTINCT id_script FROM readme WHERE id_language != $languagetarget;
but it cannot work since I get back the id_script from the first selection !

See a sample of the table :

id_readme, id_script, id-language
1, 2, 4
2, 3, 1
3, 3, 4
4, 4, 4

All the scripts are in english, but one has been already translated into French.

I want to say to the translator that works from english to french,
1) you have script 2 and 4 to translate
2) you can rewrite the translation of script 3 (this second question I have manage with creating a temporary table).

I don't think the newest version of mysql will be on the server.

Thank you
Christine

try this

SELECT DISTINCT id-script FROM YOURTABLE where id_language = 'SELECTED LANGUAGE' ;
no ?

Justin Patrin wrote:

Christine Clerc wrote:

Hi,

I have a Mysql table of texts in different languages :
id_readme
id_script (the object that the text describes)
id_language (the language the text is written in)
etc.

So two texts may have the same id_script but with different id_language.

I need to retrieve the list (without duplicate) of id-script that are described in one language and NOT in another.

Is there hope ? Any help would be welcome.

Chris

Maybe give us a sample of the SQL you wish to use? You can probably get it done without a sub-select.

That being said, the newest versions of MySQL support sub-selects, but you'd have to use an unstable version.

-- Alban Médici R&D software engineer ------------------------------ you can contact me @ : [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.netcentrex.net ------------------------------