The reason for this is due to the variable "$action" not having any relation
to the action. Therefore, you should use the following if/then statement:

if ($submit !== '') {
    // STATEMENTS
}

The "submit" name/value pair variable passed via your form is a named
variable that possesses the value of "Submit Query", so you could
essentially make the if/then statement be:

if ($submit == 'Submit Query') {
    // STATEMENTS
}

However, you will have to ensure that the "register_globals" directive has a
value of "Yes" in your PHP.ini configuration file.

If you're unsure of the value of your "register_globals" directive, create
and execute the following script:

<?
phpinfo();
?>

This function will state all of the environment variables associated with
your install of PHP on your server.

Hope this helps...
-Zak