The problem is caused by the fact that the sybase extension was installed
instead of the mssql extension.  The sybase extension supports some of the
mssql functions via aliasing. Unfortunately, mssql_init() is not supported
by the sybase ext.  You basically have only 2 options:

1. Rebuild PHP with the mssql extension instead of the sybase extension.
If you choose this option, you should upgrade to the latest versions of
PHP and FreeTDS.

2. Build the shared version of the odbtp extension, which can be obtained
at http://odbtp.sourceforge.net. This option does not require you to
rebuild PHP.  However, you will not be able to use the mssql_* functions
aliased by the odbtp ext because of namespace conflicts with the mssql_*
functions aliased by the sybase ext.

Unless you have existing scripts that use the mssql_* functions, option 2
may be you best choice. It provides better support for SQL Server.

-- bob