That makes great sence, however when I tried using $_POST in my SQL
statement it would not work.

This works fine:
$query = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE email='".$username."'";
But this one doesnt at all:
$query = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE email='",$_POST['username'],"'";

It does however work for  all the echo commands and It is also correct when
I echo the statement:
echo "SELECT * FROM users WHERE email='",$_POST['username'],"'";

Am I missing something?

Thanks again,

Aaron

"Justin Patrin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> You should generally $_POST for all posted variables, $_GET for all
> "get" variables (in the query string / url), and the other
> superglobals for other such things. If you don't care if it's POST,
> GET, or a cookie, you can use $_REQUEST.
>
> register_globals is a setting in your php.ini. It's best practice to
> set this to "off". What this means for you is that variables sent by
> the user are not registered as global variables. i.e. $username will
> no longer work, you have to use $_POST['username']. Search the php
> lists for lots more discussion on this matter.
>
> For more on superglobals:
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.predefined.php
> For the list archives, click the "Archive" links here:
>
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:27:15 -0400, Aaron Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > Jon,
> >
> > Thanks for the info.  I did change the LIKE to =.  This was done just
for my
> > debugging.  I do have it set to = on a normal basis.
> >
> > I am a little unsure what you mean at the end of your reply about
register
> > globals.  Are you saying that everywhere I use $username to refer to the
> > users inputed username I should use $_POST['username'] instead?  Or are
you
> > suggesting to use this in one location.
> >
> > Thanks again for the reply,
> >
> > Aaron
> >
> > "Jonathan Haddad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >

> > > if you have shell access, please do the following
> > >
> > > describe users;
> > > select * from users;
> > >
> > > also, why are you using LIKE instead of =?
> > > use this instead:
> > >
> > > $query = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE email = '".$username."'";
> > >
> > > i would also suggest turning off register globals and using
> > > $_POST['username'] and not $username. (i'm assuming it's on given your
> > code)
> > >
> > > Jon

> > 5
> > button,