Luck of the draw.  I've sent mails that immediately posted to the list,
and I've sent mails (like the recent MySQL PK) that took almost 4 hours.
No idea where the bottleneck is - maybe just that php.nets mailserver is
busy.

Backoff algorithms make a larger and larger [but still random] window
each failure - the idea being that if 4000 people sending mail
simultaneously get failures from overloading the server - everyone
calling back in exactly 10 minutes won't help anyone.  If we get a
collision when we call back, we figure we still have too many and we
backoff again.  So, if your mail has no problems the first time - it
gets through fine.  One failure, maybe a half hour.  Two, and you're
looking at the hours.

Semi "Ooh Tee", but I can't say that on this list or it doesn't get
posted at all (which, as I've mentioned here before, is stupid).

Cheers,
- Martin Norland, Database / Web Developer, International Outreach x3257
The opinion(s) contained within this email do not necessarily represent
those of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.