From: Leo D. Geoffrion [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 6:03 AM
To: Michael Caplan
Subject: Re: [PHP-DB] Losing the ability to connect to Oracle database

Yes, I just found 30808. It's suspended because the fix is stated in the discussion (uncomment out a small section of oci8.c), but for performance reasons they don't want to make this part of the standard code.

I've rebuilt php5 now with the change in place and will see if this fixes the problem for my systems. I can confirm that it's at least harmless.

Michael Caplan wrote:

Hi Leo,

We are having the same problem.  Check out the bug I filed many months ago
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=30808  I can't for the life of me figure out
why the bug is suspended, as this seems to be a common issue with Oracle

and

php5.  Perhaps you should also and your comments to the bug report.

To "resolve" the issue, we do an apache restart every time the db goes

down.

This flushes whatever connections php pools to Oracle (sounds weird
considering we are doing oci8nlogon).

I really hope that the OCI8 library gets some serious attention soon. In

my

mind this is a show stopper, and it appears that there are a few other big
ones lying around...

Michael