Tim McGeary wrote:
But I do have a MySQL 5 client:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] html]# rpm -qa MySQL*
MySQL-shared-compat-5.0.27-0.rhel3
MySQL-client-standard-5.0.27-0.rhel3
MySQL-python-0.9.1-6
MySQL-server-standard-5.0.27-0.rhel3
MySQL-devel-standard-5.0.27-0.rhel3

or are you saying that the PHP libs have a MySQL 4 client in there? If that is the case, how should I rebuild PHP?

Yes, and it depends on what OS, where it originally came from, etc. The alternative is to change the password of the MySQL user you're using - the link in my last post explains how to do this.

Ok, so I did the recommended process of:

mysql> UPDATE mysql.user SET Password = OLD_PASSWORD('newpwd')
    -> WHERE Host = 'some_host' AND User = 'some_user';
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

This allows the CLI script to run successfully, but the web php file still gives me the original error. Any ideas? The error again is:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (13) in /var/www/html/software/index.php on line 18 Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (13)

'13' means permission denied.

$ perror 13
System error:  13 = Permission denied

What are the permissions on the /var/lib/mysql/ directory? Maybe php can't get into that, thus it can't get to the socket file.

Try

chmod 755 /var/lib/mysql

to allow any user to be able to read files in that folder (but not change anything)...

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/