Gary,

I take the view that I warn our customers about the dangers, and if really
concerning ask for an indemnity or a very formal request for change. I really
try to convince them of the correct path and keep any emails regarding the
issues as backup

Its a drag when you really have to consider how to cover your ass on this.
Lawyers suck too. ;-P

bastien> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> CC:
php-db@lists.php.net> Subject: RE: [PHP-DB] Credit Card Encryption> Date: Wed,
19 Dec 2007 23:21:52 -0500> > Hmm,> > This is kind of throwing a new twist on
things.> > When it comes to liability, who is liable, the merchant running the
system, the develper that created the system, or both?> > If the develper is
included, would that be mitigated in that he created the system to the
merchant's specifications?> > Also, in terms of the developer, would this be
covered under errors and omissions insurance, or would they take the position
that> the developer should have known better and was negligent in creating a
non-compliant system leaving the developer on the hook for> damages?> > Gary> >
Spiller; php-db@lists.php.net> > Subject: RE: [PHP-DB] Credit Card Encryption>
those> > solutions. Unfortunately, the sector that my FT job deals> > with is
retail and many of our clients are in this bind with> > PCI data. Hefty fines
are charged to those not in compliance.> > The major CC companies are taking
this so seriously and the> > ramifications are being felt in many IT shops.
Compliance> > failure can lead to loss o privileges to accept CCs.> >> > Its
gonna force us to be more creative in how we handle the> > data and create the
applications that allow our clients to> > offer ecommerce, we will have to
learn some business skills> > to make this happen. It may mean that its becomes
more> > contractual in dealing with third parties, where the ecommece> > shop
effects payment on behalf of the vendors. The OP may> > need to help his client
work out a better way to manage the> > transactions between the related parties
by finding ways to> > automate the various transactions and provide gateway
access...> >> > I, too, like to eat... ;-P> >> > bastien> >> >> > > Date: Wed,
19 Dec 2007 17:21:57 -0500> From:> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re:> > [PHP-DB] Credit Card Encryption> CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED];> >
php-db@lists.php.net> > On Dec 19, 2007 4:45 PM, Bastien> > Koert <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:> >> > Nope, I still> > would not recommmend it. The only
place the CC data should> > travel to is the payment gateway. Anything else is
a security> > risk. Why does your client process by hand? They should be> >
using a payment gateway.> > That's true, Bastien, but if for> > whatever reason
it's not an> option for them, what? Tell them> > it's tough cookies and they're
SOL?> > Our job as programmers> > - especially freelance - is to make things>
happen as safely> > and securely as we can, but as a bottom line, make it>> >
happen. I'm sure we (most of us) take the responsibility to>> > discourage a
client from making such choices, and to educate> > them on> alternatives that
are better for their interests,> > but still - at the> end of the day, we're
still just code> > monkeys. We're expected to> build what the client needs, or>
> else they'll find someone else to do> it for them.> > And I> > don't really
like to go hungry. ;-)> > -- > Daniel P. Brown>> > [Phone Numbers Go Here!]>
[They're Hidden From View!]> > If> > at first you don't succeed, stick to what
you know best so> > that you> can make enough money to pay someone else to do
it for you.> >
your brain! Try Flexicon!> >
http://puzzles.sympatico.msn.ca/chicktionary/index.html?icid=htmlsig>