Your 'taggings' table is basically a link table to deal with a 'many
to many' relationship - i guess you know:

You have a table A and a table B that have a many-to-many
relationship, which is stored in table L. What query fetches all rows
in A that relate to all members of the set [B1, B2, ..., Bn]?

The problem here is that one entry in B relates to x entries in A. If
you want to know which entries in A relate to y entries in B, you're
creating a matrix with y dimensions: this means you'll have to join
the link table on itself the same amount of times as the matrix has
dimensions, resulting in the same amount of virtual tables that your
RDBMS will put in memory - iow, not safe.

You can manage to do this without the joins, I think, by using a
nested query and the HAVING keyword in your SQL. Selecting all ids of
entries that apply to all tags from a linktable would go something
like this:

SELECT link.entry_id, COUNT(link.entry_id) AS amount_of_links FROM
link WHERE link.tag_id IN (SELECT id FROM tag WHERE tag.name='soup' OR
tag.name='vegetarian') GROUP BY link.entry_id HAVING amount_of_links
>= 2

This is not an elegant solution and rather expensive! There can be
another one that I can't think of - i'd love to know it. I think your
best options are to either revise your design, or to consider whether
you really need a query like this - as far as i know they're not used
on flickr etc: these sites show tags for one entry or entries for one
tag.

Evert