>> You're almost correct, sizeof("foo") should be sizeof("foo")+1

>hmm... still not working :(

My fault for not reading on beyond the first typo:

>zend_printf("foo = %s",tmpString);

should probably be

zend_printf("foo = %s", (*tmpString)->value.str.val);

but I may be wrong on the level of indirection.
The zval cannot automagically be put in a %s and treated as a string, you
should manually extract the pointer to the actual string.

Hope this helps!

Cheerio, Marc.
(btw, you might have a look at the way the zval struct is set up in the
source code)