Wow, quick response.

The command I used was:
./configure --with-mysql --with-gd --with-ftp --with-imap
--enable-track-vars

I did as you suggested and read over the INSTALL file again.  I noticed
the "with-apxs" option.  Due to my tiredness and my impatience it failed
to register in my mind that this was one of the required options for use
w/ Apache, so I hadn't added it.  I recompiled again using that option and
sure enough, I have the required files.  But I have another problem --
this doesn't directly relate to PHP but perhaps you could answer it.  The
line that says:
  LoadModule  mod_php4.c
Where on my system do I place this file?  I did a systemwide search for
the other module files listed above it and it didn't find any of them, yet
the webserver starts up just fine.

Pardon the newbie-ish questions, but it's only Wednesday and already it's
been a long week for me. :)  Thanks a lot for your help.

Shawn

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> What are your configure flags?  Read the INSTALL file more carefully.
>
> On 21 Mar 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Operating system: Linux 2.2.14 kernel
> > PHP version:      4.0.4pl1
> > PHP Bug Type:     *Install and Config
> > Bug description:  Files appear to be missing
> >
> > In the "INSTALL" file included with the installation of PHP, it instructs me to
>reference 2 files in the httpd.conf: mod_php4.c and libphp4.so.  Neither of these
>files exist in the installation package, nor are they created during the
>installation.  I never see any errors during my installation; everything appears to
>go just fine.  I've installed older versions of PHP4 without a problem, so I am
>fairly sure it's nothing to do with my computer.  Any help you can offer would be
>greatly appreciated.
> >

> > --
> > Edit Bug report at: http://bugs.php.net/?id=9887&edit=1
> >

> > --

Shawn Reed
Vice President / Chief Technology Officer
RBC Incorporated * Remote Backup Center
[EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.remotebackupcenter.com