unset() is not a function, and using it has very different semantics than a
function call (e.g., you can't use unset() as a part of a bigger
expression, but only as a full 'unset();' statement).  There aren't too
many built-in constructs that behave exactly like functions, as a matter of
fact, I don't think there are any.  The ones that come close:

- isset() and empty() - their different semantics is that they won't
display a warning when fed a non existent argument (regardless of error
reporting).
- print, include, require - do not require parentheses
- echo - does not require parentheses, and still accepts a coma-separated
list of arguments

At 17:12 23/3/2001, Hartmut Holzgraefe wrote:
>Stefan Livieratos wrote:
> >
> > "Hartmut Holzgraefe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > does this return things like unset()?
> > > no it doesn't!
> > >
> > > there's a difference between builtin functions and language constructs
> >
> > You are right of course. I was misled by the example Cynic used. On the
> > other hand I don't know how useful a function that returns all
> > language constructs would be. Could someone give me an example for
> > using such a function in a sensible way?
>
>i just wanted to show that there are things that look like functions
>but aren't
>
>i'd suggest that those few should be added to the result of
>get_defined_functions, either under 'internal' or as a third
>block 'constructs'
>
>--
>Hartmut Holzgraefe  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.six.de  +49-711-99091-77
>
>Besuchen Sie uns auf der CeBIT 2001 - in Halle 6 Stand F62/4
>
>--

Zeev Suraski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CTO &  co-founder, Zend Technologies Ltd. http://www.zend.com/