There is a good reason AFAIK.

Manuel Lemos' Metabase uses the intval of a resource as an array key for
managing mutiple queries, etc.

A "don't do that" responce does not help the situation, because it must in
order to function the way it does.

Manuel's Metabase is quite elegant PHP coding.

I have written to metabase-dev on groups.yahoo.com in hopes for another
resolution.  As it stands now, I don't foresee simple solution to this
issue.
--
Having said that,
1. is there a good reason OCI shouldn't free the resource reguardless of the

2. Should intval not pump up the refcount when doing something silly like
converting a resource to an integer?