On Wed, 2 May 2001, Andi Gutmans wrote:

> The COM problem would have been found IMO if we had released a bigger RC.

I think the COM problem would have been found if somebody ran the test
suite immediately before releasing 4.0.5 final. I think modifying the RC
process to ensure that the last thing we do before releasing is to make
sure the release passes the validation suite is a simpler step than
opening the QA process to thousands of less qualified testers.

I know the QAT does its best to build and validate the RCs on as many
platforms and configurations as possible. But, always adding in new
features, to go along with bug fixes, makes it harder to gather all the
testers together to review each RC. If we had less RCs or the RCs modified
fewer files, it'd be easier to ensure like mistakes like COM don't slip
through the cracks.

We always have minor buglets in the RCs. It's much easier for the QAT to
locate them internally than to wade through all the excess bug reports
that will come in. Mozilla makes their daily builds easily available,
which is great. OTOH, one of their biggest QA problems is getting people
to handle the huge amount of bug reports -- many of which are dups,
missing info, or bogus.

-adam

--
/ adam maccabee trachtenberg | visit college life online \
\ [EMAIL PROTECTED]           | http://www.student.com    /