Hi Sterling-

There are implementation-specific reasons of why this can be useful, but I was
hoping to avoid the "I can't see why you'd want this" (very common on this
list, and something I'm also guilty of, but limiting to the evolution of the
language IMHO) argument in favor of "semantically that's probably the right way
to do it, but it's not real important", which is why I'm willing to make the
change if the concensus is that the change would be the right thing.

I definetly believe it's not real important and will have no visible benefit to
"most people". What I want to be sure of is that it won't hurt "most people"
either. I'm not sure if the speed decrease would be noticeable. I don't get
your argument about it being a kludge; I think what we have now is the kludge.
I do agree a get_declared_class() would probably have a high WTF factor, which
is why I favor changing the original to (like Andrei said) accept a parameter
which determines its behavior.

Thanks
John

--

John Donagher
Application Engineer

Public key available off http://www.keyserver.net
Key fingerprint = 4024 DF50 56EE 19A3 258A  D628 22DE AD56 EEBE 8DDD