This change also broke my extension.  I'd like to have the extension
be buildable with all of 4.x without user intervention, so I'm trying
to figure out some way to handle the change via the pre-processor.

I thought that ZEND_VERSION, defined in zend.h, might do the trick.
Unfortunately, it is defined as a string, thus the C preprocessor
won't perform any comparisons against it. Perhaps in 4.0.6+ there
could also be a ZEND_VERSION_DOUBLE, eg:

#define ZEND_VERSION_DOUBLE 4.06

Does anyone have any clever solutions to this problem that I could use
today?  thx.

-danda

--
Dan Libby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, author of xmlrpc-epi

check out xmlrpc-epi -- a C library for xmlrpc with a fast PHP
extension.
http://xmlrpc-epi.sourceforge.net

and learn about xmlrpc, enabling remote procedure calls over the net.
http://www.xmlrpc.com