Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: Filesystem function related
Operating system:
PHP Version: 4.0.5
Assigned To:
Comments:

Reopened. This is not fixed.

--Jani

You are kidding right? Nice way to take down a server.

load average: 66.52, 33.25, 15.76

$fp = fopen("/web/sites/contentsite/".$f);
while(!feof($fp))
       {
       echo fgets($fd, 4096);
       }
fclose($fp);

and not in the bug database.

But a hint.  Don't use readfile(), fopen() the file and read it a bit at a time
instead of sticking the entire thing in memory.

Anyone plan on claiming this?

Ok, this is a pretty intersting one, and I'm not even sure if it's a bug or just a
memory limit thing. I am using a php wrapper for content files
(.jpg|.gif|.asf|.mov|.ram), as you can guess, the movie files can be pretty large,
upwards of 10MB, all getting read into memory, then spit back out. Couple that with a
site that gets 10K+ visits a day and the server is on its knees with a load average of
about 10 (when it gets to 25/30 things start swapping and it will dies not long after
that.)

here's the code used to wrap the content:

<?php
$mime_type = strtolower(strrchr($f,'.'));
$mime_type_array = array(
        '.asf' => 'application/vnd.ms-asf',
        '.jpg' => 'image/jpeg',
        '.gif' => 'image/gif'
        );

if(!in_array($mime_type,array_keys($mime_type_array)))
        {
        header("Location: /error.php");
        }

$offset = 86400 * 3;
header("Expires: ".gmdate("D, d M Y H:i:s GMT", time() + $offset));
header("Cache-Control: max-age=".$offset.", must-revalidate");
header("Last-modified : ".gmdate("D, d M Y H:i:s GMT",
filemtime("/web/sites/contentsite/".$f)));
header("Content-type: ".$mime_type_array[$mime_type]);
header("Content-length: ".filesize("/web/sites/contentsite/".$f));
@readfile("/web/sites/contentsite/".$f);
?>

so, I would pass an image or movie to the content file with a url like so:

http://contentsite.com/content.php?f=movies/bigmovie.asf

This is really just a heads up at this point, I know it will take you guys a little
while to sort through this one, I'm not even sure it's a bug considering readfile is
SUPPOSED to read a file into memory and spit it back out. I dunno, for now I'm going
to do some .htaccess tricks where I force php to parse .htaccess files. If anyone has
come across this or has any insight on wrapping content in php files, please email me
at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks!
Stephen VanDyke

PS - aside from that, great language, I love PHP :)

ATTENTION! Do NOT reply to this email!
To reply, use the web interface found at http://bugs.php.net/?id=10701&edit=2