On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 01:47:45PM -0000 , [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Operating system: Linux Debian
> PHP version:      3.0.17

so it is 3.0.17 or 3.0.18?

> PHP Bug Type:     Scripting Engine problem
> Bug description:  eregi DO NOT FIND expression if string too complicated and from
>$fcontents
>
> In some cases, eregi_replace doesn't work. I found it didn't worked
> when reading the a long/complicated line from a file :
>
> 1. I read $line from a file and $line becomes :

> href=\"PHP_url_me?req_modmain=showprod&req_modsub=view&req_id=1\">[view]</a> <a
>href=\"PHP_url_me?req_modmain=showprod&req_modsub=edit&req_id=1\">[edit]</a>
>[del]</td></tr>"
>
> 2. $url_myself = "http://1.1.1.249/admin/express/main.php3";;
>    and $line = eregi_replace ("PHP_url_me", $url_myself, $line);
>
>    doesn't work !
>
> 3. For the other lines from the same file (shorter and with less
>    special characters) it WORKS !
>
>    AND that line is not tested the same as if I do
>    $line2 = ...
>    ($line <> $line2) ?!
>
> 4. in eregi_replace ($pattern, $replace, $string), are there special characters into
>$string ???? and even, why the same $line is not the same when read from a file
>
> CONCLUSION :
>
> I suppose the bug is more in $fcontents than ereg, BUT WHY ereg
> doesn't find a pattern which IS INTO the string ($line) ?
> Whatever the line can be, the pattern is there, so why doesn't
> it find it ?
>
> I suppose you don't need any other information, but just in case :
>  - Debian Linux potato
>  - PHP 3.0.18

selfcompiled or from a deb? if selfcompiled look at unstable php3. there is
a bug in php3's regex.h, which causes problems with large file support
(LFS). Also apache has this bug, which is fixed in the package (and maybe in
1.3.20 upstream).
                                Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Obviously the only rational solution to your problem is suicide.